About The Library
Contact The Library
- Library Hours
- Location & Directions
- About the Library
- Library Trustees
- Friends of the Library
- Library Policies and Plan
Get a Library Card
New Books & Movies
Free Health and Wellness Programs at the Library
Free Family Support Group (in Spanish) Meets at the Library at 1:30 pm on the second Saturday of each month
for Spanish-speaking family members who have a loved one living with a mental illness (group is facilitated by Spanish speaking, trained NAMI family members).
NAMI-FAMILYA OF ROCKLAND COUNTY
and the Finkelstein Memorial Library Health and Wellness Center. Flyers in Spanish are being distributed.
* Meetings are in the Library's Community Meeting Room on the first floor.
para obtener mas informacion llame Myrna Rolon (845) 624-1366 o NAMI-FAMILYA (845) 359-8787 por correo electronico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diets Series Talks - Free - Tuesdays, Aug. 5, 12 and 19 at 7 PM-8:30 PM
Janice Winbush, CDN, CHHC Certified Dietitian Nutritionist & Holistic Health Coach.
Registration begins June 23.
For more information, please see this brochure (pdf)
August 5: Paleolithic Diet
- Ms. Winbush will give you an overview of the Paleolithic Diet, also known as the Paleo, or Primal Diet is rooted in the belief that eating natural foods leads to optimal health. She will share with you the pros and cons of this diet as well as the diet guidelines.
August 12: Gluten Free Diet
- According to U.S. News and World Report estimates, nearly 15 to 25 percent of consumers report looking for gluten-free products. Continuing growth in the gluten-free food industry is expected to continue, reaching $6 billion by 2015. Ms. Winbush will address who are the people that would benefit from a gluten free diet, what foods to eat as well as what foods to avoid.
August 19: Vegan Diet
- Ms. Winbush will give you an overview on the Pros and Cons and Dos and Don'ts of a Vegan Diet? She will also speak about the possible benefits such as weight loss, heart health, and diabetes prevention or control.
Yoga for Adults -Free - 4 Week Beginner Course: Thursdays, September 4, 11, October 2, 9 - 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM.
Bonnie Ringer, E-RYT500, teaches the basic principles of classical Hatha/Raja yoga.Wear loose fitting clothing, bring a yoga mat& towel. Priority given to FML card holders. Registration begins August 4, 2014
Senior Yoga - Free - 2 Week Beginner Course: Tuesdays, September 30, October 7 - 11:00 AM-12:30 PM.
Bonnie Ringer, E-RYT500, teaches slow-paced, low-impact yoga; the class closes with meditation & wonderful deep relaxation exercises. Seniors may benefit from Yoga's emphasis on breathing techniques, improved muscle tone, reduction of stress, better sleep, sense of well being, and relaxing music. If you are out of shape, it's easy to work at a low level or on a chair.
Wear loose fitting clothing, bring a yoga mat & towel. Priority given to FML card holders. Registration begins August 25.
Healthy Tai Chi Classes- Suitable for seniors and non-seniors - Free: Fridays, September 12, 19 - 11:00AM-12:00 noon
Instructed by Master Ted Peng (Tai Chi 7th level, practicing for 30 years, teaching for 10 years in U.S.)
Tai Chi is a type of Chinese martial arts. It was developed in China over 400 years ago for health and self-defense. Healthy Tai Chi consists of slow individual movements taken from elements of regular Tai Chi. These slow individual movements are therapeutic in nature and target specific body areas and maladies. Practicing Healthy Tai Chi can improve one's arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes, immune system, flexibility, balance, and muscular strength.People can choose to stand or sit in chairs to perform the exercises.
Wear loose fitting clothing. Priority given to FML card holders. Registration Begins on August 15, 2014.
To register for Health & Wellness programs
please call: 845-352-5700, ext. 244 or stop by the library's 2nd floor reference desk.
Finkelstein Memorial Library Homepage
Copyright 2014, Finkelstein Memorial Library
24 Chestnut Street, Spring Valley, New York 10977