Centennial Country Fair at the Finkelstein Library on Sunday, July 23 starting at 1 p.m. Rain or Shine. Free admission.
The Finkelstein Library is located at 24 Chestnut Street and Route 59 in Spring Valley. For more information, call the Library at (845)352-5700 ext. 244.
| Country Fair on Sunday, July 23 @ Finkelstein (The Library will be OPEN to the public from 1 pm for this special event but CLOSED for regular business).
This year the Library is offering many special events to commemorate its century milestone including:
Watch for specific dates and details on our website as events approach. Or, call the reference desk at 352-5700, ext. 244. We look forward to sharing our celebration with you.
A Brief Look Back at THE Library'S History...
In 1917, a group of citizens founded a small public library housed in the back of a women's hat store on Main Street (Route 45) in Spring Valley. In 1945, the Spring Valley Free Library, as it was then known, was officially renamed the Finkelstein Memorial Library. In 1962, the library became a public school district library and a board representing a cross section of the community was formed. In 1987, a 29,000 square foot addition was built to be used as a main wing.
This was the original entrance to the library on South Madison Avenue. In 1941, the Finkelstein family of Spring Valley erected and furnished a new building for the library at the corner of South Madison and Route 59 in memory of Joseph N. Finkelstein.This photo (left) was taken in the early 1980s.
The former front entrance now leads into the Library's "Founders' Room," which is still in use today. The Founders' Room houses the library's local history collection and is used for public meetings.
The Library's Founders' Room as it appeared in 1941.
In 1975, the library acquired the Van Orden House to the north of the building. It housed library administrative offices, a small art gallery and a meeting room and until recently, was the site of the Holocaust Museum & Study Center. The Library is currently working to upgrade this building to accommodate additional community programming needs.
In 1987, a 29,000 square foot addition was built to be used as the library's main wing. It was dedicated to Robert H. Finkelstein, grandson of Joseph N. Finkelstein. It continues to be the main wing of the library today.
In 2015, the first floor interior of the library was renovated with a new circulation desk, a wider, more open lobby area and a new Young Adults' Center, especially designed to give children grades 6 through 12 their own space to read books, use computers and work on school/personal projects together.