NEED A NOTARY
The Finkelstein Memorial Library offers notary public services for the benefit of the community.
This service is available when our NYS commissioned staff member(s) is on duty and available.
Walk-Ins are accepted but appointments are preferred.
Please call 845-352-5700 x244 ahead of time to confirm availability.
Library Notaries witness a person signing a document or signing a sworn statement on a document. The Library Notary documents that:
- The signer of the document appeared before the Notary
- The Notary positively identified the signer; and
- The signer both acknowledged the signature as theirs, and that the signature was made willingly.
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- The person who will sign the document must be sure that the document is completely filled out–leaving no blanks other than where the customer will sign the document–before appearing before the Library Notary. Library Notaries may not notarize any document with blank spaces.
- Do not sign the document in advance.
- Government issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary service.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized.
- A Notary and the customer seeking notarization need to be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary service customer.
- Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at their sole discretion, decline to provide Notary service.
- The Library Notary does not provide Notary service for Wills, birth certificates, marriage licenses, I-9 forms or Powers of Attorney.
- In situations where a witness is required, the Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the Library.
- To serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the individual whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of a valid photo identification.
Please note that there is no fee associated with this service.